Kayaking is a fun and versatile watersport to enjoy with friends and family. It is also a new way to explore nature from a different point of view. If you are looking for a new and exciting summer hobby, kayaking may just be perfect for you. To get started, check out this beginner’s guide to kayaking.
Gear and Clothing:
- Personal flotation device
- Paddle (make sure you get the right size)
- Bilge pump to help remove unwanted water from your kayak
- Spray skirt (used for rough water conditions)
- Short or long sleeve top
- Neoprene footwear (water shoes)
- Lightweight jacket or rain jacket (depending on weather)
Adjusting Your Kayak:
This will keep you in a more stable position during your journey on the water.
- Push your backside firmly against the seat
- Place your feet on the footpegs and slightly bend your knees
- Bent knees should be in slight contact with the inside of the kayak
Launching Your Kayak:
- Get help from a friend to carry the kayak to your starting point
- Stand right over the kayak
- Grab the sides and slide your feet in
- Use your paddle to move your kayak into the water (push off the ground or side of the bank)
Other Tips For First-time Kayakers:
- Choose a calm body of water (lakes or ponds are perfect)
- Look for a slightly sloping piece of land to launch off of
- Choose a sunny and windless day
- Paddle into the wind if it is windy
You might also like: How To Have The Best Road Trip Experience
Barker Buick GMC
Whether you’re shopping for a brand-new Buick or GMC vehicle or a pre-owned vehicle, you’ll want to get the best value for your money. At Barker Buick GMC, we’re committed to offering the best deal we can on your dream car so that you can keep more of your hard-earned cash in your wallet. One look at our prices will convince you that we’re serious about low prices, but that’s just the beginning. We also offer a variety of other ways to save, including manufacturer deals, our own discounts, low lease offers, competitive financing rates, and more. Come see us!
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.